Monday, April 14, 2014

BB #55: Fa-aaaame (fame!)

Blog Banter time! 

----------
Last Blog Banter we talked about heroes in EVE Online. The followup to that topic has been provided by Wilhelm aka The Ancient Gaming Noob:

Write about somebody who is "space famous" and why you hate/admire them, somebody who isn't space famous but you think should be or will be, or discuss space fame in general, what it means, and how people end up so famous.

Is there a cost of being famous in EVE and if so, is it worth the price?
----------

Like: Ripard Teg, Rixx Javixx, Malcanis, Sugar Kyle, I'm probably misspelling Javixx, The gang on Failheap, X Gallentius, Garviel.

Not so much: Gevlon Goblin, the peanut gallery on EVE-24.

Grudging respect: Anyone in Goons, Dinnsdale Pirhanna.

Fame and infamy are kind of random. The state of human knowledge about it is that you can best model it by the science of networks. That's beyond my ken (let alone my barbie). The upshot is that we can see how fame happens in retrospect but it is only marginally easier to predict once you learn all that science. Hard work usually matters toward becoming recognized for it. Usually. Some are born famous, others become famous, and some have fame thrust upon them like a Kardashian's* big ol' butt. 

I am not famous. I have more name recognition in EVE from my wise-ass commentary in militia chat than I do from the blog. Also, people who are hitting the "Next blog" link almost certainly account for at least half my readership. Turns out my EVE handle is also the name of an oil tanker. I can't tell whether that hurts or helps. :)

The usual bang of idiots on Failheap Challenge are better-known PVPers than me, that's for sure. Those who are willing to share PVP knowledge are those I like the best, especially those who will part with their ship fits. It takes some 'nads to do that. It can be used against you later. Unless you can create faster than others can steal, you're asking for trouble.

* I totally had them confused with the alien race in DS9 at first.

No comments:

Post a Comment